Was ist Touch Football?
Become a member
Touch Rugby ZHS Kurs
Facebook Gruppe
Captial Cup Success Print E-mail
Written by Susi Seitz   
Tuesday, 31 May 2011

The first tournament of the season saw a full Munich squad heading to Berlin to fight for the Capital Cup trophy. From the 17 players going, only three are not going to the World Cup, making this team the fittest and most prepared team that Munich has ever fielded. On the other hand, it was going to be the first time in a long time that the team would get together and play mixed; expectations were high.

Touch Muenchen Capital Cup Squad

Munich’s first game was against Frankfurt. The last time the two teams met was at the Frankfurt tournament in 2010, when the game finished 4x4. New year, new luck and this was a completely different game. Munich dominated from start to finish, the drives were strong and the defence had no trouble stopping their moves and quick players. Final score, 6x0. Not a bad way to start the day.

Next game was against the Vagabonds, a team formed of pool players, including our Lokers and Ian. They didn’t have girls, but had lots of rugby players. It was a very fast team, albeit without a lot of structure. Our defence was still working very well, we made a few silly mistakes and the game finished 3x2 to Munich. Our final pool game was against Berlin/Leipzig, which was a combination development team from both cities. We decided to try a few moves on the wings, and on the 5-metre line, and the game finished 8x1 on the pitch, 12x1 on paper (not enough girls).

Finishing first in pool A meant we would be playing the second place of pool B in the semi-final, which turned out to be Berlin. This was a much anticipated game, as last year had us losing three finals against them. Munich went on the pitch set to win this one, and win we did. The Wolpertingers were disciplined and working hard, both in attack and in defence. Some of the set moves were working to perfection, and the whole team was completely tuned on. Berlin managed to get near our score line only a couple of times, but could never find a way through the yellow wall. Final score, 6x0.

Next one was the final against Heidelberg, where Bally was playing. Heidelberg came through the rounds strongly and very convincingly. They had speed, and a lot of flair. And, just like two years ago, the rain started with the whistle. The wet conditions had us making a few mistakes, plus tiredness was setting in, and communication wasn’t as good. But Munich scored first, and stayed ahead till the end. Final score, 4x3.

Susi scores in the final!

Because we only had five girls, the tactic was to have three guys for each of the three positions, and have them work extra hard. The girls had then the freedom to start running early and cover their gaps, whilst the guys covered the gaps behind them. It was a game of trust, but it worked really well. The subbing was also really effective, which had us scoring touchdowns simply by having fresh (and fast) legs. As a matter of fact, touchdowns were being scored in the middle, links and in the wings. The team played well because it was a one big unit.

Top scorer for the day was Shannon, with 6 touchdowns, and players’ player, Kate. Bring on the next one!!!

Touch München